The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Remote Control
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » General HA & Security View previous topic
View next topic
Remote Control
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
I was saying that you wouldn't NEED to use IR.exe not that it shouldn't exist. I kinda want one remote and IR sensor to do sage and vCrib.exe, and what ever else I want to do with an IR remote, maybe turn on/off my TV and AVR? So do you want to write a vcrib plugin to control sage specifically via the VR.exe or do you want to write a plug in for a 3rd party app so that anything they support will be compatible? Its a circular debate. As it is I think Event Ghost integration is a feature request that stands on its own. Just like xAP/xPL

As far as what to do first, a poll could work but it is limited to making a choice between a handful of items. How many are members of this forum are there right now, how many are lurking with ideas? Maybe the priority should be to get the SDK API out so that others can start their own projects to integrate their automated noodle cooker or what ever. Until then folks should just stick their feature requests in the forum and see if they take off.

Vaughn, I'd work on hammering bugs and then what ever interests you the most. We can't afford to have you close up shop for sake of being over worked on projects you have no intention of using yourself. I'm super happy that you have reinstalled Sage. Just live with it for a while and see if any ideas come up to integrate with the vCrib. I have no necessity, just wants. I specifically don't use the IR.exe because I do use the USBUIRT for sage exclusively. If vCrib could use the sendmessage.exe utility that sends messages to sage like is done with the Hauppauge ir sensors it could work with both. But is that too specific to one 3rd party application? I know a few folks who just use the keyboard with their HTPC and forgo an ir remote all together.

I don't know what is best, but you've got yourself a mother of an invention here, so figure out what you need. If you're fishing for more ideas look in the feature requests thread. If you are torn between 2 or three ideas, start a poll or just pick one and go for it. Until there are more developers assisting with the code, this can't really be much of a democracy unless we vote for something that you already want to do.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:22 pm View user's profile Send private message
CollinR

Post Reply with quote
Humanzee, if you install EventGhost and it's SageTV plugin you can use vCrib to command SageTV with EventGhosts command line interface.

Or you can use wget to hit up the webserver interface, in which case you can control any client local or remote.

wget.exe --delete-after http://USERNAME:PASSWORD@SAGEIPADDRESS/sage/SageCommand?context=000dfe0c5e6a&command=Power

That will put whatever client has a MAC address of 000dfe0c5e6a into standby mode. Very Happy Great for killing MVPs to free up tuners when the SO falls asleep watching.

It just depends on what you want, watching SageTV inside a vCrib screen is more work same for displaying SageTV recorded data. Me personally I don't see a bunch of use for that. Making vCrib issue commands to SageTV is really quite simple.

The EventGhost/Girger TCP interface really could be hacked togther with no work, just have vCrib run it's command line interface for each event it recieves. Just call

eventghost.exe -n IPADDRESS:PORT PW EVENT.NAME.WHATEVER.DUNNO.THE.LIMIT

You can even call that from the system account and use the loopback to hit a user session. Obviously you can use that across your LAN.

When that comes into EventGhost it will look like

TCP.EVENT.NAME.WHATEVER.DUNNO.THE.LIMIT

so just some creative naming and you are good.

VCrib.MasterBed.x10.A1 ON

Would make logical sence and would allow for multiple technologys, multiple installations and multiple devices per installation.

You can have EventGhost break these back apart without much trouble.
Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:48 pm View user's profile Send private message
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
I think there is a command line feature request already in the forum but I don't think it encompasses issuing command lines. It would be a good idea to include both methods, so that vcrib could receive a command from an outside source and send one too. either to sendmessage or as you say instructions back to the sage server.

Ill try to find that feature request and expand on it.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:51 pm View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I am going to write a tiny app to handle this, so you are not calling vcrib.exe. I just have to decide on the format of the messages, etc.

Maybe some examples or input would help me. They more I know it will need to do upfront, the less I will have to retool the design later.

vccl.exe /device=Kitchen Lights /command=ON
vccl.exe "Kitchen Lights ON"
vccl.exe /event "Kitchen Lights ON"
vccl.exe "Execute Action: Greet User"

not sure what the most flexable design for that params are...

Vaughn

Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:40 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
Well the only things that occur that we need to induce are events and commands. And events can lead to commands based on actions. But some actions would be nice to trigger directly also as it would probably not be good to insert a false time stamp to trigger an action etc. so maybe its best to support directly firing all three types. Events, Commands, Actions

vccl.exe /event /event_name
vccl.exe /command /command_name /parameter_value
vccl.exe /action /action_name

Since there are distinct records for both ON and OFF etc I would think that you wouldn't need anything else sans paramters.

I.e. vccl.exe /command /Kitchen Light ON /50%

am I missing anything?

I suppose items could be added later if need be into a separate group/class .

vccl.exe /macro /macro_name
vccl.exe /timmer /timer_name /Parameter_Value
what ever.

vCrib Wiki
Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:52 pm View user's profile Send private message
CollinR

Post Reply with quote
I think the eventghost style works really well.

That way it will run on local or remote machines, but you will need 2 seperate applications.

app #1

vCribNetT.exe

This is what I think you are already thinking about, however it in itself is not linked to vCrib.exe. You can use vCrib to call it if you like but you can also run that file solo and from machines that do not have a vCrib installtion.

You would call this as:

vCribNetT.exe -e IP:PORT PASSWORD EVENTNAME

app #2

vCribNetR.exe

This would be the reciever for the first app, it is connected to vCrib and requires a vCrib installation. This will listen for commands on it's network port and relay them to the local vCrib installation. This could be running inside the vCrib installation no point in having it external, vCrib.exe has to be there.

With luck vCribNetT could be ported to run on many different platforms as to further your controls to cell phones, PDAs whatever can execute it.

Also this could be made to duplicate EventGhost's "Network Sender" plugin or Girder's whatever they call it network plugin. Allowing vCrib to talk to EventGhost and on to Girder if so desired and obviously backwards and any path inbetween.

You might look at the source for EventGhost's "Network Sender" and "Network Reciever" plugins, you might be able to slightly modify them however they will be in python.

This would be super cool as I already broadcast events like "Morning" "KitchenPC.uCollin.Started" from EventGhost PCs (all mine have EG installed).
Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:22 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » General HA & Security All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: