The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Wake on LAN, enter sleep mode command

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests View previous topic
View next topic
Wake on LAN, enter sleep mode command
Humanzee

Post Wake on LAN, enter sleep mode command Reply with quote
I have several PC's around the house that I use as TV, automation, media terminals. The problem is that they always need to be on in order to be convenient. It would be nice if there were a way to tie in a "Wake on LAN" signal or otherwise send a command to individual computers on the network for them to resume from standby or even just come out of screen saver mode etc.

Thus an occupancy event could wake up the devices in that location. I.e. by the time you get your cereal in the bowl, the HTPC is up and ready to show you the news, just by walking in the room.

Likewise, If say its 2:00 am and the room is Vacant or I set the house to SLEEP mode, I'd want my PC to go to sleep with out relying on the MS power options. The MS power options don't play nice with my HTPC software.

For some power modes a simple mouse wiggle, or keystroke could wake the system.
Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:05 pm View user's profile Send private message
TheMan

Post Asignment Reply with quote
This is more than easy enough to do. I have a module at home now that does this. It would be good to add a field to the DB that contains the MAC addresses of all components on the network.

I would also add a module that scans the network occasionally for new MAC's/IP's then possibly polls the device for any information. Scope creep, but worthwhile.
Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:07 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
My only concern is that the vCrib apps seem to be pretty chatty. Looking at my network switch yesterday, it was blinking away like crazy, while nothing much was going on. I think the apps constantly poll the DB for items in the event cue etc. Maybe there would be a way to suspend this sort of network traffic for select apps while a different application has focus or something. I'm not sure how network traffic would affect the computers ability to go to sleep in the first place. Another reason that the error from a gap in LAN access needs to be trapped, so that it can gracefully resume.
Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:43 am View user's profile Send private message
TheMan

Post chatty Reply with quote
If the app is polling the DB, this would be an interesting thing to tie into the DB. An extended SP that gets called by a trigger when and event happens. The extended SP would make a remote call to the application informing it of an event.

This functionality is (more or less) built into SQL 2005 (and I'd imagine SQL 2005 express). I'm assuming it can be done in MySQL.

I know that piece is completely off topic, but could solve the issue and makes things a little more scalable.
Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:56 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
There are definitly some areas for optimization in the polling, although I don't have a problem with polling in general. I am a little confused on the Sleeping stuff though, you would never want your main DB/HA machine to sleep, but I can understand wanting all the clients around the house to sleep.

I will be moving a lot of features inside the DB, but there will always be traffic. Every app sends a heartbeat to the DB so vCrib knows when an app crashes, so even with a full DB trigger/event model, there is needs for network traffic.

This is kinda a general topic and will not get addresses at all under the topic of "Replace all polling with an DB trigger model" We have to break it up and address the priorities. For example, I know the vCrib.exe hammers things when it is on the Main or Log tabs. I have already found the sloppy polls for the maps and I have to rewrite that routine. Also when logs refresh, it pulls in the whole recordset, instead of just new log entries...

Polling the command queue a few times a second is not a big deal because it does not transfer any data on the return at least. Even some of these "no data" queries can benefit from calling compiled stored procs though and it is absolutly my goal to move as much of this to the DB as possible, but I have to work on broken things before I redesign working things. Once the software does what is is supposed to and is functional for people, then I will spend my time on performance and issues like that.

Vaughn

Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:50 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: